I am at present busy with a project to catch up on the books that I have read since January 2009 when I started with my 36 books a year challenge. This blog documents what I have in a hand written book journal in order to give other book fans the chance to share in my challenge and to have access to reviews of books they might be interested in. Please leave a comment or link to your book blog if you have one.

Monday, August 2, 2010

July 2010 - Book no 18

The Monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin S Sharma

I have heard so much about this book that I grabbed the chance to be the first one to read it at the Bookclub. I am really not a keen reader of self-help type books so I should have known that like most other of it's species, this one would also not fascinate me. I read the first two thirds and tried to really concentrate and understand and remember as much as possible. I even re-capped on the handy summaries at the end of each chapter. But it was just not "happening". Maybe at the time I was simply too tired. The last third I speed-read through.

The message is simple - return to yourself and to true and honest non monetary values and you will get rich, be thin and healthy and eternally happy and perfect. Ok, maybe I am being a bit cynical. Recommended for self help junkies and semi-Buddhist  health nuts only.

Cat's score on this one; 4/10- but maybe it's just me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cat, I am with you on this one, but then I am a cynic. Your description of the message reads like so many of these self help formula books that give me an allergy :)
    Thanks for stopping by at the Max Files and for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also not a fan of self-help books, so i will skip this one then

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't enjoy this book at all, in fact, I never even finished it( so congrats on finishing your copy!).I found the writing style boring and lacking in everything. Did you know that he now has a new book out. I think Il stay clear of that one too.

    ReplyDelete