I am at present busy with a project to catch up on the books that I have read since January 2009 when I started with my 36 books a year challenge. This blog documents what I have in a hand written book journal in order to give other book fans the chance to share in my challenge and to have access to reviews of books they might be interested in. Please leave a comment or link to your book blog if you have one.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

July 2011 - Book 16

 The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

 
 I am not a lover of autobiographies or biographies at all. I much rather prefer the escape that fiction brings. But sometimes the saying "truth is stranger than fiction" actually rings true. Without a doubt this is one of those instances.

Whilst reading this book I was constantly gasping for my breath, wondering if indeed there were people thinking and living the way the author was raised. The result of a total dreamer alcoholic for a dad and a frustrated idealistic artist for a mom, Jeannette turns out a huge success in life, but not without fighting every misguided principle her parents forced on them Strangely enough, only the youngest sibling seem to be unable to break the constraints of a seemingly childhood of freedom or neglect, however you wish to phrase it.

Totally fascinating and extremely well written, this is a memoir worthy of a read and the bestseller status it has achieved. 

A must read 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment