I am at present busy with a project to catch up on the books that I have read since January 2009 when I started with my 36 books a year challenge. This blog documents what I have in a hand written book journal in order to give other book fans the chance to share in my challenge and to have access to reviews of books they might be interested in. Please leave a comment or link to your book blog if you have one.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

May 2011 - Book 10

Consolation by Anna Gavalda

I have to admit that sometimes, the cover of a book is the first draw card for me. This was certainly the case with this book with such a lovely cover.

Charles is a life-tired architect, frustrated in his work and life at home. In fact, his only bit of positive feedback and the light of his life is a teenager that is not even his own child. Charles also has a colourful past, dominated by his down to the rules parents , a unique neighbour , her son and a rather unconventional nanny. And although in secret, Charles loved that neighbour, Anouk, not like a son but like the man he was yet to become.

When he receives the news that she has died, his life all of a sudden goes into an out of control spin until, inevitably, he sets out to find her son. There life hands him the best consolation prize ever - Kate, a woman Anouk touched with her unique light. And a woman that will heal his heart.

I found the first half of the book a rather tough read - maybe due to the translation from the original French. But once you reach the last half it turns into pure magic.

A wonderful positive read and well worth a 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment