I am at present busy with a project to catch up on the books that I have read since January 2009 when I started with my 36 books a year challenge. This blog documents what I have in a hand written book journal in order to give other book fans the chance to share in my challenge and to have access to reviews of books they might be interested in. Please leave a comment or link to your book blog if you have one.

Monday, October 11, 2010

October 2010- Book 26

When will there be Good News by Kate Atkinson
The only other two books that I have read by the author are both favorites of mine. "Behind the scenes at the museum" is a wonderful drama highlighting how a family does not cope with tragedy. "One good turn" is and intriguing bit of crime fiction (and some more) set at the Edinburgh festival. This read is a bit of both.

Featuring some of the characters I have met in "One good turn" this book also features not one, but 3 great female characters - each one clever, witty and  intriguing in her own way and each with a n interesting past.

Pivoting around a train disaster, a set of events featuring a 16 year old character called Reggie  -  a lonely, poor but brilliant girl- forms the backbone of the story, told with great compassion and speckled with Atkinson's telltale dry sense of humor. To be honest, I still have some questions milling in my mind about the eventual outcome of it all.

Clever and well written with endearing characters, this is a must read if you like a good crime read. 

Cat's ranking: 9 and a half/10 

1 comment:

  1. You're right - this does sound like my cup of tea. Will have to investigate for when it's my turn to buy again xx

    ReplyDelete