I am at present busy with a project to catch up on the books that I have read since January 2009 when I started with my 36 books a year challenge. This blog documents what I have in a hand written book journal in order to give other book fans the chance to share in my challenge and to have access to reviews of books they might be interested in. Please leave a comment or link to your book blog if you have one.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

So this what it is all about.

As a child, my favorite place in the whole world to visit was a book store or the library. I could get lost in them - spend hours and hours. My dream was to have a huge bookstore filled with books. I just love to smell a new book, to hear the pages turn and the back band bend. I love books!I taught myself to read at around age 5 and has never stopped. I can always find the time to read - even while tandem breastfeeding twins, I always have a book with me - in case I have to queue somewhere, in case I have to wait for someone - I'll read. I'll read in the car, while eating lunch, while dressing, everywhere. Not in the bath though - I have way too much respect for a book to subject it to a watery plunge. That's what magazines are for. I buy a lot of books but I also belong to a Book club where we create a pool of books to borrow.

In my PK (Pre-kid) days I used to read a lot - really a lot. About 50 plus books a year! I found that after my children's birth and as they grew up, I read less and less. Not that I'll ever stop! It is just way less than I used to. I never make New Years resolutions, but did decide that for 2009 I will put a goal to myself - to read 36 books this year - that brings me to 3 a month. This blog is an attempt to review and report on my progress - I have a hand written book journal that I have been keeping for years. Off course, I have 6 months of books to catch up on reporting in this blog!

This also creates an opportunity for my friends in the blogging community to see what I am reading, to hopefully participate and give their own comments and to aid them in choosing books to read themselves. I do sometimes read books in my Mother tongue, which might not be available in English, in which case I will try to recommend another book by the same author that has been translated or I will take an older review out of my journal and publish it. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Super Excited to see what you are reading...I want to read, but I do not have the extra time right now! One day soon...maybe your book club will inspire me! Thanks Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I am secretly addicted to book reviews;) I think it comes from working in a bookshop since I was 15 and learning quickly that everyone thought I had read all the books in the shop. I soaked in the back covers and the reviews and bluffed my way through. I only read the ones I was actually interested in but made sure I was knowledgable on as many as possible.

    I love opening a carton lot of books. Usually we order a few of one title but they get re-packed all together with the other orders and so they are not the same... a fresh carton of books direct from the publisher smells SOOOO good. I'm sounding strange now, I'll stop before I REALLY make a fool of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your blog. I also enjoy reading and listening to books and finish about 3 or 4 each week. I look forward to reading the books you described.

    www.FunnyPhotosContest.com Submit CUTE or FUNNY photos and tell friends to vote for them. No entry fee.

    ReplyDelete